Mike Hilton was literally everywhere. On every play he was in, you never saw him away from the ball. Even on short yardage plays, it seems that if he wasn’t the one making the tackle, he was the one finishing it.
More from Steelers News
- Mel Kiper Jr. makes predictable pick for Steelers in first NFL mock draft
- Steelers news: Brian Flores odds to land HC job, no projected compensatory picks, and more
- Why Jordan Addison to the Steelers is a good idea
- 4 reasons Steelers would have been embarrassed in the NFL playoffs
- The easiest cut the Pittsburgh Steelers will make in 2023
As someone who’s new to this team, Hilton shined. With little depth in the defensive backfield, he was already a strong candidate to make the roster, but after game one, he looks like to a lock. Add Daimion Stafford retiring, and it looks pretty clear that Hilton will be on the field for Pittsburgh in 2017.
Hilton is exciting to watch. With no real backup safety, he could very easily earn some serious playing time behind Sean Davis and Mike Mitchell. With three more strong preseason games, he could be someone to work his way into the No. 2 spot on the depth chart.
Hilton is someone to keep an eye out for during the rest of the preseason. His role on this team is still unknown, and he may need to fight throw people to earn a spot anywhere else but safety. Looking at his reaction time, though, he’d be a valuable asset to have supporting this secondary.
This guy is going to turn heads this season. Not only in the offseason but once the real Week 1 rolls around, Mike Hilton is going to cause problems for opposing teams.