The Pittsburgh Steelers have been without one of their best players since early in Week 1. Just 14 snaps into the season-opener against the 49ers, Cameron Heyward hobbled off the field with what was later confirmed as a groin injury.
Unfortunately for Pittsburgh, this turned out to be a Grade 3 groin tear that would require surgery and sideline him for up to eight weeks. The Steelers have found a way to weather the storm without him, but it hasn't been easy. Though rookie Keeanu Benton stepped up in his absence, the interior defensive line has had a hard time stopping the run and getting consistent pressure on the quarterback without Heyward.
Last week, the Steelers officially opened up the 21-day practice window for Heyward to return to the field. The three-time First-Team All-Pro is back at practice, but will he be ready to go this week on Thursday Night Football against the Tennessee Titans?
Cameron Heyward injury status for Week 9 against Titans
Cameron Heyward practiced in limited fashion last week, but we figured that it would take a bit more time to make his return to the field. Now the Steelers are on a short week as they play on Thursday night, but signs are pointing toward a Week 9 return.
According to the Steelers injury report for Week 9, Heyward was a full participant in practice on Tuesday. This comes after logging a limited practice on Monday. Heyward has not officially been lifted from IR at this time, but it looks like that decision will be coming soon. With another full practice on Wednesday, he will be set to return to the field this week.
Cameron Heyward injury history
- Jan. 13th, 2011: Elbow tear (underwent Tommy John Surgery)
- Aug. 26th, 2016: Pedal ankle sprain Grade 3 (ready by Week 1)
- Oct. 9th, 2016: Thigh hamstring strain Grade 2 (missed 2 games)
- Nov. 13th, 2016: Chest pectoral tear (Heyward was placed on IR and had surgery)
- Sept. 10th, 2023: Groin tear Grade 3 (placed on IR/eligible to return)
When is Cameron Heyward coming back?
As of Wednesday morning, Heyward has not been lifted from injured reserve to the active roster. Barring an injury setback, that decision should be coming soon. He appears to be on track to make his return in Week 9 on Thursday Night Football against the Titans.
Pittsburgh Steelers next 5 opponents
- Tennessee Titans, Thursday, Nov. 2
- Green Bay Packers, Sunday, Nov. 12
- Cleveland Browns, Sunday, Nov. 19
- Cincinnati Bengals, Sunday, Nov. 26
- Arizona Cardinals, Sun. Dec. 23