For NFL players, nothing compares to the thrill of seeing the confetti fall as their team is declared Super Bowl champions. Unfortunately, this is an accomplishment that most players will not achieve in their football careers. For the best and most notable players in the league, earning a prestigious award at the NFL Honors ceremony has to be the next best thing.
The NFL Honors ceremony debuted back in 2012, but the Associated Press has been voting on awards much longer. Some of the most notable annual awards include Offensive Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, and, of course, Most Valuable Player.
With the league growing in terms of fanbase and popularity each year, the NFL Honors ceremony has been a nationally televised event for over a decade, and millions will tune in to see if one of their favorite players will be recognized. Here's everything you need to know about the NFL awards schedule this year, according to NFL.com.
When is the NFL Awards ceremony?
The 12th annual NFL awards ceremony will be held on Thursday, February 9th at 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time. This will be the Thursday before the Super Bowl. The NFL Honors ceremony will take place at Symphony Hall in Phoenix, as the Super Bowl will be played three days later in Las Vegas, Nevada.
How to watch the NFL Honors ceremony
NFL Honors have routinely been held by a different broadcast network each year. This year, you can catch the NFL awards ceremony by tuning in to your local NBC station at 9:00 p.m. ET on Thursday. The game will also be broadcast nationally on Peacock, or you can watch the NFL Honors ceremony with a subscription to FuboTV.
Who votes on the NFL Awards?
The Associated Press (AP) includes a panel of 50 sports journalists who cover the NFL. This panel will rank their top five picks for the NFL MVP award. For every other award, they will rank their top three selections. These will be averaged out to determine the award winner as well as the second-place and third-place finishers for each award.
Which awards will be announced during the NFL Honors ceremony?
Here's a list of every NFL award that will be announced on February 9th during the NFL Honors ceremony:
- AP Most Valuable Player presented by Invisalign
- AP Coach of the Year
- AP Comeback Player of the Year
- AP Offensive Player of the Year presented by Microsoft Surface
- AP Defensive Player of the Year
- AP Offensive Rookie of the Year
- AP Defensive Rookie of the Year
- Best Moment of the Year
- Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year presented by Nationwide
- NFL Inspire Change Tribute
- Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2023
- FedEx Air & Ground Players of the Year
- Salute to Service Award presented by USAA
- Bud Light Celly of the Year
- NFL Fan of the Year presented by Captain Morgan
- Deacon Jones Sack Leader Award
- Art Rooney Sportsmanship Award
- AP Assistant Coach of the Year