What’s better than a Sunday full of Steelers football? A Sunday full of Steelers football and some tasty football snacks to go with it, that’s what. Pittsburghers are known for some awesome food and the best of the best comes out during football season.
More from Steelers News
- Steelers news: Rashard Mendenhall calls out Big Ben, Brian Flores interviews for HC job, and more
- Steelers play it safe in recent 2023 NFL mock draft
- Kenny Pickett gets his guy in latest Steelers mock draft with trades
- Steelers face potentially dark reality if Matt Canada doesn’t pan out
- Senior Bowl sleepers the Steelers must have on their radar
Whether you’re heading out to the game and need some tailgating grub or hosting a party of Steeler fans at your house, you’re going to need something in your belly to soak up all the beer. For the home opener we have a classic matchup with the Steelers against the Cleveland Browns so what’s better than the classic ham bbq to go along with the game? Ham bbq is best done with Isaly’s Chipped Ham and if you’re out of the area you can totally have it shipped to you so you can have a little piece of Pittsburgh right where you are.
If you don’t know what Isaly’s Chipped Ham is, I feel for you. Its ham lunch meat that is shaved thinly and it’s delightful. You mix it with a special barbeque sauce, slap it on a soft bun and you’ve got yourself ham bbq. Nothing says “Welcome back Steelers football” quite like a ham bbq sammich or four. They’re delicious.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 lb. (or several pounds, depending on the size of your crowd) of Isaly’s Chipped Ham
- 1 jar of Isaly’s Barbecue Sauce (again, you can double or triple if you like)
- 1 small jar of sweet relish (feel free to use sliced pickles on sammich instead of relish in the sauce)
- Soft buns to pile it all on
What you’ll need to do is throw the sauce and relish in a pot and simmer it for at least 20 minutes after you throw that chipped ham in. Let it get all nice and thick and luxurious and try not to burn your fingers when you can’t wait to sneak a taste. You can even throw it in a slow-cooker and bring it to your tailgate. When it’s thick and bubbly and delicious looking it’s done, throw some on a bun and try not to drip it all over your Steelers jersey.
If you cannot get your hands on a jar of Isaly’s Barbecue sauce here is a good recipe for a similar-style sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1 TBS brown sugar
- 1 TBS vinegar (just about any vinegar would do here, besides balsamic because that’s too fancy for this)
- ¼ cup sweet relish (again, if you like pickles on the sammich over relish in the sauce, do your thing)
- 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Dash or two or five of hot sauce
In this case, throw all that stuff in a saucepan and let it come to a boil and let it simmer a few minutes on its own before adding the ham.
Enjoy and Go Steelers!