Steelers MMQB: NFL Offseason News
What’s the plan?
Oct 12, 2014; Cleveland, OH, USA; Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin talks with free safety Mike Mitchell (23) against the Cleveland Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium. The Browns won 31-10. Mandatory Credit: Ron Schwane-USA TODAY Sports
The retirement of Troy Polamalu didn’t necessarily come as a shock to the Steelers organization, particularly since there have been several reports that he wasn’t “in their plans” for 2015 and going forward. So what is the plan at safety? There is one thought that Shamarko Thomas instantly steps in and gets the starting role but there’s also the option of moving Michael Mitchell over to strong safety.
Mitchell and Thomas play a similar type of style that points to the strong safety position, which means they’ll still need a free safety that can help out in coverage and play deep. The team did re-sign Will Allen but that doesn’t necessarily answer the question for the long term answer at safety either. Which probably means that the draft is where the Steelers will be looking for that free safety.
Next: Steelers Pick Up DeCastro's Option
More from Still Curtain
- Steelers news: Rashard Mendenhall calls out Big Ben, Brian Flores interviews for HC job, and more
- Steelers play it safe in recent 2023 NFL mock draft
- Kenny Pickett gets his guy in latest Steelers mock draft with trades
- Steelers face potentially dark reality if Matt Canada doesn’t pan out
- Senior Bowl sleepers the Steelers must have on their radar