The Negative Traits
Josey Jewell makes up for a lot of his negative traits with heart and technique. His most pressing negative trait is his speed.
Jewell is not the fastest linebacker to ever step on the field. It isn’t that he is super slow but with the league getting faster and faster it could limit his play time in the NFL.
More from Steelers Draft
- Steelers could take one of these top cornerbacks in the 2023 NFL Draft
- Steelers mock draft: Pittsburgh finally opts to attack the trenches
- Steelers latest 2023 mock draft after their post-season snub
- Steelers mock draft: Pittsburgh digs their heels in for a cornerback early
- Steelers draft pick from Bears could still be an unofficial first-rounder
Given that most receivers and backs are faster than him, he could be limited to run downs and be taken out on obvious passing downs.
Jewell has great build for a linebacker in the league but the strength sometimes does not match the size. At times, he manhandles blockers and runners and other times he looks like the opponent is stronger.
I know this will not be the case and he has gotten stronger every year in college. Once the NFL becomes his full-time job, he will be able to focus on adding some extra strength to his game.
Jewell can combat most of his downside with his instincts and his tackling ability. If he can get stronger and show he can be a three down linebacker, he will have a long career in the NFL.